Substation Protection Applications with IEC 61850
- K. Petersen, San Diego Gas & Electric Company
- I. Higginson, POWER Engineers, Inc.
- P. Raval Samearth, Consulting Engineers, Inc.
- A. Findley, POWER Engineers, Inc.
- J. Eby, POWER Engineers, Inc.
- J. Groat, POWER Engineers, Inc.
This paper describes the design and implementation of a multi-vendor distribution substation protection testbed utilizing primarily IEC 61850 Generic Object-Oriented Substation Event (GOOSE), Manufacturing Message Specification (MMS), and Sampled Value (SV) communications. Project goals included exploring the interoperability of IEC 61850-capable devices from different manufacturers and performing distribution substation protection and controls using GOOSE messages and SV streams. Following a brief introduction to the IEC 61850 standard, the substation testbed design and network architecture are outlined. Troubleshooting and system testing procedures are then described. The paper concludes with a discussion of lessons learned, conclusions, and recommendations for future work.
This paper was presented at the 2018 Western Protective Relay Conference